Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Walking - My new found love

I've taken up a new activity since last week: A two hour walk after sunset along the walkways of our very quiet and peaceful residential area. The reason I decided to make this a mandatory event in the midst of my chaotic school routine was obviously for health reasons. But now i think more than anything else, a long walk by myself is the best mental exercise I could ever get. I mean, spending two hours walking with just my mind to keep me company is the most relaxing experience I've had lately. With no textbooks/a stack of lecture handouts/computer/phone readily accessible, one is almost forced to focus on the self. Keeping in touch with your mind and listening carefully to everything it has to say to you or has been struggling to deal with on its own is such an important but often neglected activity of life. Not to sound like someone with a below average self-esteem but with all the introspection, I think I'm actually starting to like myself..a little. The thing is, I've always thought there's nothing really that I've had to think about in life. It's all about school for me! That's all that has been there for the past two decades of my life and really, why would one want to spend time pondering on academics. So on the first day, I made sure I had enough songs on my iPod to last me exactly 120 minutes or otherwise I'd be 'bored to death'. However, as I started walking, without even trying, there were so many things that my mind was trying to tell me. hehe i know it's starting to sound like my mind works independantly of my body, which sometimes is something I almost believe is true.

So I think this new found love for long walks is something I am going to stick to for life - and now that I've written it somewhere, there's a slightly better chance of me living up to my word.

No comments:

Post a Comment